KURDISTAN KNK ACTIVITIES NATIONAL
The KNK’s founding congress was held in Amsterdam on 24th May 1999 as a result of four years of discussions and planning within the Kurdish movement. The event marks a major breakthrough in the political organization of the Kurds, bringing together representatives from all parts of the divided Kurdistan with the common aim to solve the disunion between Kurdish political parties. The Kurdistan National Congress was created to embody the moral unity of the Kurdish nation and to elaborate a concerted strategy for democratic solution to the Kurdish question within the existing states. The KNK Charter, adopted on 26 May 1999, outlines its aims and objectives:
The Congress resides temporarily in Brussels until the return to Kurdistan. It is expanding its activities worldwide and now has offices in many major cities. Its work consists of:
The political lobbying of governments, the EU, the European Parliament, Council of Europe, the UN and other international institutions;
Kongra Netewiya Kurdistan
Disseminating regular information about the changing situation in Kurdistan to the media and public, organizing meetings, seminars, conferences and events promoting Kurdish history and culture;
KNK Head Office
The Congress works for the revival and progress of the Kurdish language and culture.
• The national struggle of Eastern part of Kurdistan has to develop further, and we are ready for a new process to achieve our goals through peaceful means. We have to be ready for these changes and the national unity of our people.
Rue Jean Stas 41
1060 Brussels, Belgium Tel: 0032 2 647 3084 www.kongrakurdistan.net
6-9 Manor Gardens London N7 6LA
Tel: 0207 272 7890 [email protected]
The Congress tries to achieve peace in the Middle East and the world, as well as working against all forms of discrimination and extremism.”
• Our meeting clearly declares that there are other ethnic groups living among our national geography, and these nations and ethnic minorities are to be protected, respected on their religion, creed, beliefs etc., and we are to establish a secular democratic system, which will respect every other people in the region
“For the sake of strengthening cooperation and the common struggle among the parts of Kurdistan, the Congress works on the basis of national unity and the main interests of the people of Kurdistan.
women’s groups, trade unions and others to raise awareness about political issues and human rights violations in all parts of Kurdistan.
The Congress tries to solve the problems among the people of Kurdistan and the neighboring countries peacefully and in a friendly manner.
Main points decided at the 13th General Meeting of KNK, held in Brussels on 25-26 May 2013.
The Congress rejects all forms of violence, but supports defensive measures.
• Democratisation of Middle East can be achieved through the recognition of Kurdish identity and Kurdistan as a nation. Therefore those countries that are either directly or indirectly involved have to recognise this problem, change their position on this important and sensitive issue, and listen to the Kurdish people’s wishes. On these grounds Kirkuk and other parts of the Kurdish region that were taken have to be included again in the map of Kurdistan, and these countries have to show their respect for the map of Kurdistan and its territory.
The Congress recognizes the social reality of Kurds and Kurdistan, and supports and implements the principle of positive discrimination towards women’s participation in all its activities, projects and organizations.
The Congress supports the national liberation struggle of Kurdistan in all parts (Turkey, Iran, Iraq and Syria) and regards the provision of any kind of necessary support for the sake of achieving political organization as its duty.
• On this very important gathering the Kurds have paid particular attention to the developments in South Western Kurdistan, (within Syrian state territory). We fully support our Kurdish brothers and sisters who are right now fighting for their freedom.
The Congress, as a representative establishment of the people of Kurdistan, works on an international level for the sake of obtaining and maintaining its interests and for this aim cooperates with the political organizations of Kurdistan.
• In the Northern part of Kurdistan, there is a peace process initiated by Kurdish leader Mr. Ocalan. We are calling on the Turkish government and other countries that may have interest in this process to listen very carefully to the wishes for a democratic solution for the Kurdish nation. Therefore the peace solution or road map, proposed by the Kurdish leader, has to be taken into account, in order to achieve a permanent peace in the country. Therefore we are calling on Turkey to release Mr. Ocalan and all other Kurdish political prisoners.
The Congress supports the preservation of freedom and liberation for all the religions, sects and beliefs in Kurdistan.
Publishing materials, including an official KNK bulletin;
Working alongside politicians, NGOs, human rights group,
• Kurdistan as a nation has the right to live and create their own destiny as a Kurdish nation in their own land.